Monday, August 23, 2010

Finnish People = Quiet People?

There is a rumor that Finns are rather quiet people, who are very introverted. So far, I cannot affirm that or at least I have to say, you have to answer that question in a more differentiated way - and that's what I am trying to do right now.

As I already mentioned in my first post, Finnish people are very helpful and aim to help others. There was e.g. this young lady in the woods at Yyteri during the first week in Finland, who helped me and my friend to find our way home. In the meanwhile there were plenty of those situations, such in the supermarket or in the laundry room. Everytime I asked somebody I got a friendly and elaborate answer - even if a person was kind of stressed out at that moment. This behaviour, which was very supportive and courteous, really gives you a good feeling about living here in Finland.

But there are in fact some situations in which silence is more obvious than in other cultures. For example in the buses or at bus stops: yes, I mentioned before that buses are only rarely used (at least here in Pori), but nevertheless I have to state, that it is very, very quiet in those buses - no matter if there are even bigger groups or children riding it. The first time driving by bus, I got kind of a strange and uncomfortable feeling, because it seemed like my friend and I were talking so loud that it was a little bit of an entertainment for all  the other passengers (and actually it was not THAT loud, of course). Let's take Germany for comparison, there the volume level in public transportation is like a rocket launch or having a seat in the first row of a Motörhead concert :-D You will find a quiet atmosphere in canteens or restaurants in Finland as well (at least, that is what I experienced in the first two weeks). Of course people DO talk in there, but not in a very bustling way and without noticeable gestures or something like that.

In my former workplaces there has always been a lot of talking in the office. People were incessantly walking into the office, there were meetings and presentation updates with 4-5 people, discussions about new processes,  and so on. It was common that feelings, opinions and thoughts were shared with the whole crowd in the office. In our office at SAMK it is rather silent and people are very focused on their work - so quiet you could hear a pin drop. That does not mean, the communication is bad, I think it is just another way to handle work, in a more calm, considerate and discreet way. As I mentioned before, we have a little coffee kitchen in which we meet for two short coffee breaks each day. The atmosphere there is really great and as you can see day by day, the team spirit is very good as well! To wrap it up I just want to say that neither the one nor the other way of doing business work will be considered as better or worse. But obviously  it is not just a cultural influence - it also depends on the company culture itself and, of course, the people (as individuals)  working there. My current workplace here at SAMK, in distinct to my former employer in Germany, could not be any more different, but I see this new environment as a fascinating experience and a challenge as well!

By the way: this is my office place

So far so good! Moi Moi!

1 comment:

  1. From my (German) point of view, I am in fact a bit jealous of the Finnish people who seem to have the great opportunity of relaxing bus situations (on rides or at stations).
    Moi Moi!
    Corinna

    Please excuse my bad English and p.s.: I like that fern :-)

    ReplyDelete